On February 5, 2019, Harford County Executive, Barry Glassman announced the Hometown Heroes program for individuals employed full time by:
- Harford County Sheriff’s Office
- Harford County Public Schools
- Harford County Government
- Harford County Fire & EMS Foundation
- Harford County Fire & EMS Association
This program will provide up to $5,000 to cover down payment and/or closing costs on a home purchase in Harford County, MD.
As a local lender, we reached out to the Harford County Office of Community & Economic Development for further clarification:
- Question: Is this considered a grant?
- Answer: While not forgivable, this program provides potential homeowners some breathing room before repayment begins. The funds are considered a second loan that will not amortize during the loan term but will incur interest at a rate of 5% during the first year.
- Question: What are the credit and income restrictions?
- Answer: Credit restrictions have not been disclosed, however, in order to qualify, the homeowner(s)’ household income must be less than or equal to 80% of Harford County’s median income. Unsure what this mean? Our team will break down the
- Question: How long is the approval process?
- Answer: Stephen Gasparovic, the Housing Services Counselor for the Office of Community and Economic Development, shared that an application review typically takes 1 week.
Are you a Hometown Hero? We’d like to thank you for your service to our community by making your home ownership journey as rewarding as possible! Contact our team to learn more about the Hometown Heroes program, and the #DMLdifference.