A home warranty is a protection plan that can provide you, the homeowner, peace of mind. The warranty covers the major operating systems (furnace, air conditioning, hot water heater, electrical system, etc.) and appliances in your house should they need repair and/or replacement.
Home warranties are commonly ordered during real estate transactions. Often, buyers find a home that they love, but the age and/or condition of appliances and heating and air conditioning units concerns them. After committing large percentages of savings to down payments and closing costs, the fear of a hot water heater going up or air conditioner failing can be enough to pass on submitting an offer. However, a $400 – $700 home warranty purchased by the buyer or seller can ease those concerns.
How does a home warranty work?
Every protection plan is different however, most operate in a similar manner. If a major operating system or appliance malfunctions or stops working,
- The homeowner calls the issue in to the home warranty company.
- The home warranty company will reach out to a provider for their services.
- The provider then calls the homeowner to schedule an appointment with a technician.
- The technician diagnoses the problem to determine whether the repair or replacement is the best remedy. The terms of the home warranty will outline whether there are any other costs to the repair or replacement. **You’ll want to review your contract’s coverage**
- After the service call, the homeowner pays a service fee for the visit.
While we hope you never have to undergo the stress of repairing or replacing a system, we understand that things happen. Prepare yourself for the future by educating yourself on the protection available for your biggest asset, your home. If you need a recommendation for a home warranty company, please reach out. Our team is happy to help!